Someone else writing about the collapse of Western Civilization formulated a description of authentic hope, which shows us that with the turning of the tide comes the certainty of victory:
On the other hand, there is no authentic hope for humanity and the biosphere generally in my not-so-humble opinion. But what do I mean by “authentic” hope? We define it by contrasting it with false (Flatland) hope. Here is what false hope looks like. False hope…
- takes human nature out of the equation by positing a blank slate (anything is possible)
- expresses instinctual optimism about the future, and is in this sense obligatory.
- expresses instinctual anthropocentrism
- expresses instinctual technophilia (technology solves all problems)
False hope thus amounts to mindless (instinctual) cheer-leading for the human species. And there is one more thing about false hope:
- false hope is emotionally warm & fuzzy, but also ephemeral and meaningless.
For example, most everybody forgets all about that hopeful Ted Talk 5 minutes after its over. Everybody applauds, sings Kum-Ba-Yah and then goes home. Nothing much happens thereafter. In short, false hope amounts to yet another happy moment in the life of a social, story-telling species.
And now, let’s turn to authentic hope. What would that look like? Authentic hope…
- puts human nature front and center
- asks humans to examine and acknowledge their deeply flawed behavior without filters (blinders)
- asks humans to examine and acknowledge the probable and primitive evolutionary roots of that behavior
- asks the seemingly impossible by challenging humans to transcend various instinctual drives, defenses and biases in order to make fundamental, positive behavioral changes
And there is one more thing about authentic hope:
- authentic hope is brutal; it is unrelenting. Once the process is put it place, it goes on forever and applies to everybody (no backsliding).
2008 was a year of despair. Doing what seemed to be the right thing had ended in disaster for America and Europe in the middle east. The forces of decay, emboldened by that failure, made a hardcore push to get crazy Leftists elected in the USA and EU. This prompted an onslaught of terrible policy decisions which will haunt us for many years.
On the other hand, these events made explicit the failings of the Leftist system. Problems got worse, not better, and people were existentially miserable, knowing that even if they patched up their systems, society would still be a series of meaningless acts like jobs and red tape which make life ugly and sad, which rewards only those who are already ugly and sad by dragging others down to their level.
In 2015, the pushback began. Britain opted out of the globalist project the European Union, and Americans polarized against the Leftist ideal because they saw it in action and the results were miserable. This birthed authentic hope: that not only could we defeat immediate problems, but that we could root out their origins and destroy them.
At this point, the momentum is on our side, and we only fail if we engage in meaningless extremes, or fail to engage in the necessary meaningful extreme of removing Leftism entirely and its root, the individualism/solipsism which was the weakness in the Garden of Eden and still lives in every one of us. We must defeat our social and self-centered monkey nature, and restore Western Civilization.