What controls your brain?

Sometimes the simplest words cause the most confusion. We like to leave them ambiguous, so that we can use them for whatever use we desire.

For example, I.

I do X, Y or Z because I will it.

What is I?

1. The ego.
  2. The id.
  3. A random mental process.
  4. The personality.
  5. The soul.
  6. All of it, all together now (all together now).

Or does I include something external, like rules and memorized definitions of words or values or perhaps social peer pressure convincing the ego to act against its own interests as is convenient for the herd?

Our sense of self can easily be adopted by external forces. The crowd urges us to implement its needs, under the guise of our own; “we’re all for one and one for all!” they say, omitting to mention that they’re only for you insofar as it is consistent with their aims.

Numerous parasites converge on our cerebral cortex. Some are biological; others are emotional, moral or attack our self-esteem. All of those others want a slice of control in exchange for promises that we will be judged OK by the rest.

In an age that unites consumerism with socialism, all is done for the individual, such that its whims triumph over reality. But even Satan can’t offer such a deal; clearly there will be a piper to be paid. What is that cost?

As far as we know, it will be nothing — for now. Over the years however, the penalty is codependency with the society that gives us self-esteem in exchange for our obedience. And of course the ultimate collapse of that society.

It’s no bargain. It appears to be the greatest deal on earth. But based on even a cursory knowledge of human affairs, such things don’t exist. Why then are we still chasing this ripoff of a fantasy carrot, even to our doom?

1. ferret says:

Or does I include something external…

Perhaps it does, and cannot be separated from the whole:

2. NotTheDude says:

Is it just a big cult? A false religion that blinds us from seeing what is really great about life. I would like to think that if a tribe of modern liberals were cut off from the teat of perverse social approval that they crave that they would revert back to normal. Liberalism now seems more of a toxic smog blanketing society than an set of ideas and values to live by like Hinduism or Calvinism. It just floats in and you breath it in. You feel slightly unwell but get use to it untill after years of exposure you wither and die.

1. gg says:

Very poetic. I agree that if liberals were cut off from said teat, those that had the capacity to would feel naturally more fulfilled after the initial shock and stresses involved with such drastic lifestyle changes.

Most internet users have a liberal leaning.
        They have the ability to read anything as justification for their leaning, unless it can not possibly be interpreted that way. And such things are then called lies.
        Check it out: visit any forum, on any subject.
        Probably 90% liberal attitudes.

3. Lisa Colorado says:

It’s understandable that we will co-opt our own agency for the group. After all, the human infant is born without the ability to move anywhere, do anything, get its own food, anything. If you left it alone it would die after about three days–that’s how much reserve they have. All we are born with is our helplessness. We rely on someone instinctively caring. When you have a baby you can’t take your eyes away–you’re captivated. As we grow, we have no judgment and can easily kill ourselves by drinking whatever’s in a container we can reach, or fall headfirst into the toilet. It goes that way our whole lives, so it’s no surprise that our “I” takes a long time to get ownership of. And then our ‘yes’ and our ‘no.’ That’s all we’ve got.

Nothing controls my brain.
    Nothing can. I never use it.
    It’s a bit like a car, sitting in a carport…

“What is controlling our car, sweetheart?”
    My wife wears a worried expression.
    “Uh?” I don’t know what she’s going on about.
    “The car! What’s controlling it?”
    I look out the window, down the hill, past the veggie garden, but my eyes aren’t as good as they once were. I reach for the binoculars.
    “What?” I still don’t get it.
    “The car! There’s nobody in it. What’s controlling it?”
    I stare at her for a moment, put the binoculars away, and consider my next move.
    “You are right,” I say, at length.
    “I wouldn’t worry. It seems to be fine with that.”

1. Ted Swanson says:

Sometimes this stuff just writes itself!

2. Lisa Colorado says:

We think of ourselves as being drivers in a car, don’t we? I do.

Not me.
        I see myself as something along the lines of a flight-feather, in a wing.
        Part of a larger whole, but uniquely able to make minor adjustments to it. Unimportant enough to not doom the whole by my absence, but important enough to add lift and direction, when I am present.
        Feathers fall out. New ones grow.
        Crows are especially interesting in that regard:
        I’ve never seen any other bird that can do so well with so many feathers missing.

5. gg says:

Thoughts are like fire.

6. Jacob says:

In grade school you risk physical and verbal abuse for not obeying and being a promoter of societal norms. These norms are generally dictated by the latest hollywood garbage.

After leaving, you must faux-maintain these norms to be accepted in the job world. You may control the space between your ears still, but we all ware masks and faux-smile as if we care – when we’re really just trying to be king of the hill so we don’t get dragged down to the diseased and decrepit ghettos.

1. Lisa Colorado says:

The code of the schoolyard prevails! One rule is, ‘never say anything until you’re absolutely sure everyone else is thinking the same thing.’

from Lisa Simpson.

That’s a rule I just never did get.
        I still break it, every time I say anything.

7. Attila says:

I don’t know why Amerikwanz think that they are “free”. All I see around me are people, who for the most part, just regurgitate what they see on tv or other media. Turn off the tv, go on frequent internet and other media fasts – and give yourself a chance to have some of your own thoughts emerge. It will be lonely for a while- but soon you will settle into it nicely. Also- speak only on a need basis- and examine the reasons behind the need.