Universals do not exist

Our greatest strengths are our great weaknesses. Our giant brains, which allow us to do so much, can also deceive us.

Those giant brains can construct logical thoughts which are unrelated to reality. We can make imaginary worlds, or cartoon versions of the world around us, and pretend these mental models are reality.

However, we run into problems. The only way for us to keep up our game of let’s-pretend is to claim that these pretend notions are based on universals, which are truths that we think apply everywhere.

This way we can argue from the whole to the specific. “All rocks are hard, so this rock must also be hard!” — but for humans, it usually involves what we think human nature is.

Reversed thinking of this type always gets us in trouble with reality, which has many divisions, but is popular with other people because it implies we are all the same. That lets us think happy thoughts.

Trapped between (a) those who hate those of other races and (b) those who insist there are no differences between the races, those who can still think must pursue a third option.

Instead of pretending that a universal must exist, either “all people are the same” or “people of x type are bad,” we should face the obvious: each group likes itself and wants to be itself, rule itself and grow as itself.

This is the same way each human family, town or even corporation is. Each has a local culture. Each local culture defines both how things have been done (successfully) and the values that shape that culture.

Some people live in the world of their big brains projecting on reality. These people want happy feelings so much they deny reality, and replace it with a bigotry toward human consciousness.

In the human-consciousness-centric view of the world, what we want and desire is more important than the consequences of our actions. “But I didn’t mean to” and “It was an accident” are popular phrases with these.

Even more, they view the world through a human filter. If you approach it with good intentions, and pretend everyone is equal, everything should work out.

If not, it was the fault of some horrible conspiracy; either way, you’re being a good person and that’s what matters, not the consequences of your actions (whereby good results can come from “bad” methods like war, making money, eating Bambi or sending the homeless to Mexico).

But liberals tend to be narcissists who are doing all of this to make themselves look good, and since they don’t care about consequences, it’s others who suffer:

I am white, 42, and married to a black man. My husband is a fine art painter by trade, and a corporate accounts manager by day. We are celebrating our 16th wedding anniversary this year. We met in college in 1988 and married in 1995. After I earned a master’s degree, we married and had three children and moved to a midwestern city. My oldest daughter is 14, and I have been a homemaker and homeschooling parent since her birth.

My husband and I are former lunatic liberals. We promoted multiculturalism, the arts and diversity, and we have been involved in our neighborhood association, “urban renewal,” and the urban homesteading movement in our city. We always thought our interracial relationship was progressive. After marriage we associated with a local group of liberals who dug up their yards to plant food, composted, built rain barrels, breastfed their babies, practiced attachment parenting, planned community gardens, used clotheslines, etc. We did these things too, and in our liberalism, we felt very progressive. We were very popular with our white liberal friends because we were the token interracial couple.

We found a big old house in the neighborhood where my husband grew up. Our neighborhood was one of the original suburbs of downtown where the white folks built their summer homes before desegregation of the schools. Racially the neighborhood is 70/30 percent black and white respectively. We bought our old home, and as liberals, we were sure that we would be exposing our multiracial family to a very diverse and healthy environment. We wanted them to know both sides of their family.

Things have not worked out as planned.

Living in a mostly black neighborhood has cast a very harsh light on black culture for me. All of my liberal illusions have been shattered. I have realized how much hatred and anger blacks have for white people. I have lost so much hope and innocence just by living here for nine years. I often feel that I have been beaten over the head with a big stick. I have read so much about HBD (Human Biodiversity), race, black culture, white culture, white nationalism, and other topics that I had never even known about. I have struggled to have a voice, and to use it without choking up.

We have never experienced white racism as a couple, only intolerance from blacks. All of our friends comment about how annoying it is that we still like each other so much, and that our children are so well adjusted and sociable. We still have date night on Tuesdays and leave the kids on our anniversary to travel to a far off place. My mother-in-law teases that we are always talking about each other fondly and she makes fun of us. But she still denounces our marriage. I don’t blame her. She wants her grandchildren to look like her. I have realized that that is normal for everyone. – The Thinking Housewife

Poor, poor woman. She has clearly been misguided by liberalism, which believes in universalism. In that view, we are all the same under the skin. Even more, we want the same ideal, which is to be happy mixed-race people.

Too late she realizes that her ideas were off-base. Where did she get such nutty ideas?

Our parents are both divorced, and so our children have very little interaction with their grandparents. My mother was a radical feminist and a liberal, and fought for the rights of gays. She has been divorced twice and I have met my father only once when I was 16. While I remember my Southern conservative grandmother telling me how different blacks were from whites and that I should avoid mingling with them, I always felt that she was just a mean old racist. My mother taught me that the races are all alike, and she and my stepfather sent me to mostly black inner-city schools to show everyone how tolerant they were. I have had to figure it all out for myself.

Now here we are! What my mother taught me is not true. The rejection of my marriage and children by my black in-laws, and the complete destruction of our entire extended family by divorce, has helped me to turn inward to my immediate family in order to protect them.

Perhaps our focus on the universal is all wrong. The universal, after all, exists in the self; it is us as individuals projecting ourselves on the world, including the community. Maybe what exists instead are specifics, everywhere.

An article posted online on Monday by Psychology Today provoked controversy and cries of racism. The title of evolutionary psychologist Dr. Satoshi Kanazawa’s piece: “Why Are Black Women Less Physically Attractive Than Other Women?”

His argument is that there is a set of data, which shows black women to be “objectively” less attractive than white, Asian or Native American women, but that the same data does not find black men less attractive than men of other races. Kanazawa accepts this data and then tries to explain why it is the case. He suggests that black people have more testosterone than other races, and so possess “more masculine features.” He states too that women are “objectively” more attractive than men, so if black women have more masculine features, this explains why they are rated less attractive. – Salon

Let me advance a radical hypothesis here: to Caucasian people, African-descended people are less attractive. (This probably applies to every ethnic group except African-Americans.)

After all, white people respond less to African-Americans on dating sites. White men even seemingly eschew rape of black women. Despite a massive media blitz encouraging worship of African-American culture, multicultural and interracial dating, fewer than one in 20 Americans marry outside their own race.

Perhaps there is no universal standard of beauty, and no universal standard of right and wrong; each ethnic group simply prefers its own. When you think about it, that is a brilliant strategy. A self-organizing strategy. And one that treats every group well.

Instead of a “diverse” state where majority-minority tensions rule the day, and African-Americans live in poverty while white liberals claim to be enlightened for interacting with them, African-American self-rule would mean that the rules fit the community, not some made-up universal.

While for many years our society has pushed hard toward diversity/multiculturalism/miscegenation, the collapse of global liberalism — a parallel to the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991 — as a result of its own unrealistic policies has, in the long run, empowered us to see outside the box.

1. T.G. says:

Blake’s criticism of Newtonian, iron-bound law is voiced again. Didn’t Plato solve this problem, however?

2. Johnson says:

Yea, T.G., Plato did solve it. Very interesting solution, too.

3. Avery says:

Recommended reading for Brett: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110626/ap_on_re_eu/eu_fea_sweden_gender_neutral_tots

Stop the merry-go-round, I want to get off.

Aaaaaargh! That is about the most distressing link I ever followed.
      The little boy who climbed inside the oven must have been trying to gas himself. How can humans come to this???

4. Repair_Man_Jack says:

Universals get used as a short-cut. So do stereotypes and profiling. People usually don’t have the time or resources to acquire perfect information. This is where a lot of modern economics and sociology break down.

5. [...] Stevens – “Universals Do Not Exist“, “Interview with Daryl Davis, author of “Klan-Destine Relationships”“, [...]

6. Kinderling says:

“to Caucasian people, African-descended people are less attractive. (This probably applies to every ethnic group except African-Americans.)”

Your job is to pass on your genes. Your closest relatives you protect. Your furthest relatives, you care for the least. As for another species, humans care very little except to humanely treat and slaughter.

So it is instinctive to care little for those not recognised as your immediate or closest kin.

Then you mate with someone outside the tribe. The French wife is despised by the German, the Hutu husband is despised by the Tutsi.

When it comes to color it is even easier to resent.

That leap from animal-to-conscious-being has been very short in evolutionary terms so most people are unconscious. They are easily hypnotised and corralled into being a separate race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexuality and willingly want to be labelled as such, rewarded with a ‘preferential status’, relying solely on the protection and dependency upon the States that nurture and provide for them. Not an ounce of character amongst them. Imprinted by the world to be used by the few who claim a special dispensation. Clinton “the first Black president” they recognized.

Mixed marriages produce the finest offspring for humanity. They always had and this is why today they do not carry genetic disorders of mental or physical weaknesses that the socially and culturally inbred pass on to their children in a 1 in 4 gamble.

“Let me advance a radical hypothesis here: to Caucasian people, African-descended people are less attractive.”

1. Let me advance a radical hypothesis here: to conscious people, environment-descended people are less attractive.

You mean environment-descended as in those socially conditioned to deny proximate heritage?

Your heap of factual inaccuracies notwithstanding, you run the risk of being totally incoherent because you contradict yourself here.

1. Kinderling says:

Hi Brett,

“You mean environment-descended as in those socially conditioned…”

Yes, the duck that was born thinking the fox, (the first thing it saw) was it’s moma. The imprint of the world. It’s skin, it’s nation, it’s gender, it’s sexuality… all things by circumstance that became it’s identity.

“…to deny proximate heritage?” No. Environmentally-descended people do not to deny but believe in ‘proximate heritage’ so if a woman from Africa went and lived in in China and met a man to marry, the social pressure would be she could not have children from him (though genetically she could) because the proximate heritages from home and the proximate heritages around her would scorn her offspring like people with red hair used to be abused and scorned because of their unusualness.

The duck-imprinted lives of the homo sapian.

7. Kinderling says:

“Her neurotic parents rebelled against her conservative grandparents. The act of rebelling makes one an egomaniac: it’s a way of seizing power for oneself against the wishes of the parents, but in the process, it turns our focus toward ourselves and away from the values system that makes a community.”

This is unnatural selection at work: The selection for mate for what they are or for what they are not.

Demoralized people or outraged people demand validation from those these seen as watchers outside their group: Goys, Kuffars, Breeders. Conformists or rebels, defined by what they think theyare or think they are not, use sex for distraction and pride.

Can’t live with each other and can’t live without each other.

Non-poloarized people (“to Caucasian people, African-descended people are less attractive“) are drawn together as if they were polarized only by exaggerating their male and female distinctiveness, (women dye their hair and won’t let themselves be seen without makeup because the attraction would be gone) or inventing a pantomime of macho and feminine traits (wigs are worn, shouts of ‘it’s behind you’). There is no third way to go in this. All we have is male and female: the natural attraction or unatural distraction.

Submitters clone their bodies, rebels clone their minds. Seeking acceptance in shared philla or shared phobia relationships. These with bipolar disorders of Superior/Victim mentalities who can turn into a murderous rage on a dime.

If you do not know yourself, you are one of these.

8. Yup, being mixed race sucks ass….

You get treated like sh*t by people because you don’t fit into any group….

9. Josaphine says:

“Nationalism, or the idea that each ethnic group define its own standards and rule itself, is on the rise. Universalism is declining. With fortune, we will hear fewer of the shattered liberal stories like the one quoted first in this article.”

I visit your blog frequently. I find this statement to be true, and I am part of this rise in Nationalism. Mine is the “shattered liberal story” quoted in your article. The entire piece was not printed, of course, and the part you posted was only a very small excerpt of several email conversations that went on between me and another blogger. My post was also copied on a white nationalism web blog, and I was called names such as “mudshark”, traitor, race-mixer and “nigger loving whore”, and I deserve everything I get in life (I DO agree with this one.)

I found it interesting that a group which claims to rule “supreme” over all races can say such hideous things about a fellow white who is heading back in the right direction. These supreme knuckle dragging whites, hiding behind the safety of their computer screens, sound very unsure of their supreme position in my opinion, as if they are still trying hard to convince themselves that they are superior. I have whites exactly like this in my family, most are alcoholic, uneducated, ignorant, missing teeth, and dying of liver cancer.

I would like hear them explain the rampant alcoholism and irresponsibility among my white relatives, the massive divorce and remarriage, the child sexual abuse, the paternal abandonment and abuse that my mother and I have both experienced, and the lack of morals in my white family’s history. There is much to be ashamed of, I have found.

The supreme white posters offered no solutions or encouragement for me in my journey toward awareness, and had I not mentioned my husband’s race, I would have been congratulated for my efforts to honor my white heritage. These whites don’t care that I am one of the few whites I know who is not divorced with small children, that my husband is quite acceptable among our conservative white friends, and that we have experienced no bigotry from whites at all. These were the bigger points of my original post.

Buy hey, if a small part of my story helps you to make your point, what the hell?

The part which was left out is that I am quite successful in my life. My marriage is intact, my children are intelligent and thriving, and I can not say that I would have changed a thing up to this point. I am not afraid that my husband will start “raping” me, and I won’t get tested for STDs after 16 years of marriage because he is black. This are some of the ignorant statements made by the “supreme” whites on another blog.

I still have friends but have lost many. Some are black, some are white liberals, most are well-educated and professionally employed and able to carry on an intelligent dialogue on racial issues. I am exposed to both sides, somewhere in the middle, but heading more to the white and to the right. I have realized that I should always expect for blacks to promote their own black agenda, and I should expect for whites to do the same.

I am not in denial, I am not confused, I am not married to a raving savage African cannibal, or a low-IQ thug imbecile. I have not made a huge mistake, I am quite content. I have only realized that my liberal brainwashing has led me down a path that is not the best for either race, but I have a responsibility to honor and promote my heritage and find a way to teach my children to do the same for themselves. I reject liberalism, and feminism, and have worked to support my husband and make a home for my family. As a woman in a mixed marriage, this has caused great confusion for the liberals I know, but at least they have intelligence enough to consider my views.

My husband and I have chosen well for each other, despite our racial differences, and our 16-year marriage is healthy and not heading for divorce.

1. I have only realized that my liberal brainwashing has led me down a path that is not the best for either race, but I have a responsibility to honor and promote my heritage and find a way to teach my children to do the same for themselves. I reject liberalism, and feminism, and have worked to support my husband and make a home for my family.

I think this is where your story and our ideas here overlap. We are not popular with the White Nationalist crowd because their view is essentially “racial Marxism” — if it’s white, it’s right — which I at least tend to view as misleading and dysgenic. They also seem to like racial supremacy as a complicated and violent substitute for the simple knowledge that diversity and liberalism don’t work, but nationalism and traditional culture do work and always have.

You mention why this is important:

Whether one views it through the religious lens of determination of the soul, or the biocultural lens of eugenics, the point is that not all white people are good but that we can work toward something better. That may start with getting rid of permissive liberalism, and laying down some hard standards, so that people who do roughly the right thing get reward/praise, and those who immerse themselves in horrors (alcoholism, irresponsibility, criminality, confusion) get pushed aside. No family is immune to these things.

I think what caught me about your story was that it was a bit heart-rending. I like the sound of your husband the family you two have made; however, you captured the sense of being adrift in a confused sea of history (I am not a writer; I just pretend to be one, so we should pretend I worded that more elegantly). The small picture is what we all do to survive, and it sounds like you have a good man and a good family, but you have also “seen” the broader picture, and now cannot unsee it:

This was the challenge to me when I became aware of the traditionalism-versus-liberalism conflict that has been shattering the West since 1789: there are many people of every race that I value and enjoy, but it is clear to me that nationalism is a rising path and diversity a confused one.

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are very brave to speak up as you do.

10. Josaphine says:

One more thing…since it is MY story…

“Reality intervenes. She discovers that African-Americans, instead of wanting to be “saved” by white liberals, want to keep their own communities, and keep improving their own lot in life. Not be objects of pity.”

Not at all true in my experience. I never thought of myself as a “black people’s savior”, but I have found the blacks are absolutely looking for pity from white people. They have been well trained to do just this. It is like a career. I think you give them too much credit. It may seem noble the my mother-in-law does not want a racially mixed family, but she does not work to strengthen her black family in any other way.

Just because whites are capable of race realism, does not mean that blacks are capable of it. Blacks deny race realism in front of whites, but they talk about it behind closed doors. Blacks are very different today than they were before the civil rights movement. I see a lot of parasitic behavior, not progress. Race realism benefits American whites, but I am not so sure that it benefits American blacks. This is especially true in the case of intelligence. When you shine the light on black culture, their dysfunction and pathology always comes into view. There is no equality.

In my experience, blacks want to live near and in white culture, not better themselves as a people, or strengthen a black community. There is no such racial cohesion, it is every black man for himself. I have never know a black person who strives to stay in the black community, intentionally live in a black neighborhood in order to improve it, or even have a desire to live around other blacks. They tend to despise each other as much as they despise whites, and their lives depend upon gaining acceptance and sympathy from whites. I have discussed this with my husband, and he agrees.

Blacks identify with a culture of victimology and appeal to white guilt, even middle-class blacks. They are highly dependent on whites for almost everything, including racial validation.

My neighbors are DWL types, middle class, and some gay couples. The blacks are mostly poor, ghetto mentality, criminal, third-generation welfare recipients, and unmarried. My neighborhood is completely segregated, whites even have separate cookouts. Blacks don’t want to live here in this black ghetto, but in their minds, they are stuck in this grinding poverty because of white racism. They want to get the hell up to the white suburbs on a section-8 or “school choice” desegregation voucher where their lives will be SO much better. They want vouchers for the white schools, not have to work to make the black schools better. They have become very good at blowing sugar at the white people to get what they want.

In my experience, blacks depend on whites for their mere existence, or for the existence of their relatives back in the ghetto. Food, clothing, education, housing, transport, medical care, etc. The blacks seem to always try to appeal to whites for entitlements, “urban programs”, and special privileges. Blacks will always follow white money because they are unable to sustain their own lives. They don’t seem strong, organized, goal oriented, independent, pro-family, or racially proud like whites are. This sounds like just another noble savage routine to me. They are culturally just nothing, really. I have known about this dependency since childhood, as I attended mostly poor black public schools.

The blacks in my husbands family, after two generations of producing college graduates with help from Affirmative Action, are swiftly regressing back to the mean. The next generation will be back to square one, maybe they will even start the unwed teen mother welfare phenomenon again. And of course, they blame whites for all their failures. I don’t see any of them working toward a common goal either.

11. Joe Webb says:

That Plato solved the problem of Universals is ridiculous. Plato was a culturist, and thought he could mould folks. He was also confused, as all Culturists are since he also recognized rank, which has to be genetic.

There are no universals worthy of the name. Partricularism is our watchword. Universalists always have a Philosophic Agenda is foolish from the start.

Only biology can provide the relative blueprint. All else is endless jabbering, usually with some kind of egocentric agenda. Joe Webb

12. [...] “to Caucasian people, African-descended people are less attractive. (This probably applies to every ethnic group except [...]