What Elitism Is Not

As part of the cultural revolution roiling the West, childhood heroes become adulthood heroes as Metallica’s James Hetfield lashes out against the Leftist elite culture of the San Francisco Bay Area:

Hetfield says that in the Bay Area, ‘there was an elitist attitude there – that if you weren’t their way politically, their way environmentally, all of that, that you were looked down upon.’

‘They talk about how diverse they are, and things like that, and it’s fine if you’re diverse like them. But showing up with a deer on the bumper doesn’t fly in Marin County.’

Elitism is the philosophy of favoring quality over quantity, since quality and quantity have inverse relationships to one another. It means that instead of judging something for its social, emotional or political value, you look at how well it accomplishes what it purports to do. Elitists recognize that 90% of humanity are idiots and not surprisingly therefore that most human products are worthless.

An elitist will turn down a Big Mac in favor of a steak, but will not go to the new restaurant in town whose claim to fame is being ironic, hip or cute instead of having great food. For the elitist, the focus is entirely on food, and and he or she will sacrifice other things valued by everyone else — atmosphere, novelty, ironism — in order to pursue that quality.

This is why elitists are so rare. What Hetfield is describing in the Bay Area is the opposite of elitism; these people do not prefer time-proven quality, but socially-hip “progress” that is really just a way of virtue signaling how enlightened and wealthy they are.

In the meantime, here is all you need to know of Mr. Hetfield’s music:

Tags: , , , , ,

17 Responses to “What Elitism Is Not”

1. J.j. Cintia says:

Life Today is the opposite of what people say. The Prince of Lies has taken lying to a level never before seen. You have a lowly culture they called Samizdat under Communism. Samizdat is the understanding that everyone in “authority” is lying. The Lugenpresse is Pravda in The Soviet Union. Everything they say is the opposite of the way it really is. Hate is Love, Wrong is Right, Law is Criminal Behavior, and so on. The “elite” are scum, the rubes and hicks are the smart ones, and experts are idiots that are always wrong. Communism is not a political system. Its a parasite who bleeds you and your society until you die. The lies are not a narrative, its a cover. The implied threat of arrest and death for disobedience is cheap talk by cowards who want to kill you anyway.
    The New World Order is a lie. It cannot be, as it is a Cult of Death. Their enemies are the ones who will live. All who fall into line are dead already.
    Riches, worldly power and false respect. Empty promises by the Enemy of All Life. This little liar will promise you everything you ever wanted, but you will only ever get Death.

• Samizdat is the understanding that everyone in “authority” is lying. The Lugenpresse is Pravda in The Soviet Union.

As it is always in dying civilizations. It would be good if this awareness spread more.

2. Cryptogenic says:

In everyday usage, “elitist” is overwhelmingly aimed at fashionable urban leftists. The term “privilege” is used in place of “elitism” because leftists know the latter recalls bobos, trustafarians and hipsters in ironic settings, and not fat robber barons smoking cigars and swimming in gold coins.

• Svmmoned says:

“Elitism” is another word spammed around in order to prevent evaluations and judgements which could otherwise make someone feel uncomfortable (ashamed) for his inferior preferences, choices, etc. Thanks to this no one and nothing can be excluded and dissident opinion is dimnished as a cliche, so tasteless and idiotic can continue their thing uninterrupted. “Hater” have similar function.

Hetfield, being simple man, thinks that scorn for him have had to come from some sort of class antagonism, while it was simply an usual leftist behaviour.

I’ve watched about 15 minutes of the interview. Seems like it’s full of conservative thoughts.

The conflict between the coasts and the continental America resembles the conflict of the “sea power” and “land power” in geopolitics. Even this interview adds to this resemblance.

No wonder that Russians like Trump, and some of Trump’s people are at least neutral toward Russia. The “land powers” seem to recognize each other.

• Chris I says:

I like Russians, although I don’t know if I can completely trust them due to their actions in WWII, and Putin has my respect despite his KGB past.

• I don’t know if I can completely trust them due to their actions in WWII

I agree. Also a big stumbling block with the USA.

• Avraham Rosenblum says:

Russia is more of a force towards Western Civilization than either Europe or the USA today. However with Trump I think that the USA will take the lead again.

• The conflict between the coasts and the continental America resembles the conflict of the “sea power” and “land power” in geopolitics.

Interesting analogy and a good one. Another comparison, related to yours, is that cosmopolitan cities always resemble the “port cities” mentioned in ancient texts: places of no culture because every culture has merged, where all behaviors are accepted. Like Interzone.

4. McGarrett says:

Joe Rogan has some pretty interesting guests on (Jordan Peterson) but he gets under my skin with his namby-pamby, “I’m neither Left nor Right” schtick. You can see a lot of feminine qualities in him, which I guess is his single-mother childhood coming out. Explains the non-aggressive pot idolatry, too. I notice a lot of men who grow up poor to a single-parent have passive aggressive issues and they try to dampen it down by drowning it in recreational drug use.

One of the best concerts I ever went to was Metallica in 2004 on the St. Anger tour, of all albums. Godsmack opened. Freedom Hall in Louisville. Ears rang for 2 days. Been bringing ear plugs to concerts ever since. Of course Hetfield is right. Shame that the cosmopolitan crowd has taken over a beautiful region like San Francisco. As Dick Nixon said “I don’t shake hands with anyone from San Francisco”.

• he gets under my skin with his namby-pamby, “I’m neither Left nor Right” schtick.

That bothers me too. The statement “I’m neither Left nor Right” is literally never true. One tends toward one or the other.

This is what always happens. Nice places get dominated by people with nothing better to do in life than focus on their social position. The real aristocrats have always lived in the countryside.

• Svmmoned says:

I’ve watched his interview with Milo, and I can only say that he’s a typical cunt. Rogan that is, not Milo.

5. epochehusserl says:

• I think we on the alt right need to highlight what we would want to see in an elite.

And what we want to see in our society. I have a section on this in Parallelism.

6. Elenka says:

“Sometimes being a snob simply means rejecting that which is truly inferior.” – Robertson Davies

7. Elenka says:

All of Davies’ novels are filled with nuggets of wisdom as well as being excellent stories. He was a true aristocrat of the mind.