Hey kids, want to shock your parents? Refute the guillotine.

execution_by_guillotine

In every generation, young people need to differentiate themselves from their parents. Like almost all human endeavors, this exercise is based on the fallacy that finding an alternative version of your parents’ beliefs and proclaiming it different.

There was another version of this experience that happened on a broad scale. In France, in 1789, the overpopulated proletariat decided that their problem was not their own reckless breeding but their leadership. Thus they staged a mass protest and then executed enough smart people to drop the average IQ in France by ten points.

Ever since their, our history and personal behavior have followed these two archetypes. When individuals enter a new group, their first act is to differentiate themselves by doing something outrageous — but it must affirm the notions of the group. Similarly, whenever our politics become stagnant, we declare a “revolution” and destroy anyone intelligent, then settle for a dumbed-down version of what went before.

Thus instead of benevolent kings, the French got Napoleon. Instead of social stability, we get endless “novelty” that isn’t all that novel and when viewed from a neutral distance, appears as embarrassingly simple-minded as it actually is. Where our forefathers wrote symphonies, we have to content ourselves with doing things in a broken way and calling it “innovation”:

Sonic Youth have been praised for having “redefined what rock guitar could do”, using a wide variety of unorthodox guitar tunings and preparing guitars with objects like drum sticks and screwdrivers to alter the instruments’ timbre. The band is considered to be a pivotal influence on the alternative rock and indie rock movements.

That’s up there with the contemporary art “mistaken” for trash at a famous gallery. The reason the word mistaken is in scare quotes is that it wasn’t mistaken for trash; it was trash, or at least made of it. While the usual chattering classes would like you to argue on and on about whether this is “valid” or not, a more interesting question is whether or not it is ambitious or meaningful in any sense. Most of us find it trivial.

In fact the root of modern society is triviality. We specialize not in depth, which might divide us, but in minor changes in appearance that make the same old stuff seem new long enough to sell it to each other. Our politicians manipulate us with such tokens and then make incremental changes that do not affect the whole. They are aided by a legion of media commentators, academics and bureaucrats trying to sell us on the idea that these trivial changes are important and demand our immediate attention. And yet when they go all wrong, nothing happens; in the meantime, when we ignore the real issues we skip over to focus on the triviality, serious problems occur.

Rebelling against this process is useless however. Most rebellions end up like the indie band with garbage on their guitars claiming to be innovation. Even worse, most people expect rebellions to be this way: more triviality, in a new form. Thus even a powerful thinker who allows his work to slide toward revolutionary rhetoric will quickly be absorbed by a large group of people who demand the novel triviality be reborn. For this reason, the answer to modern society is not to follow its pattern of iconoclasm and overthrow, but to escape the appearances game entirely and focus on the non-trivial.

However, we still need a way for the youth of tomorrow to shock their parents. I suggest to these children that the quickest way to grow up is to tackle an actual grown-up issue instead of trivialities, thus I suggest to them that they take a truly radical path:

Refute the guillotine.

Acknowledge that the Revolution in France was a mistake that led to barbarism because it had no natural course to follow, since it was an ideology based on fear of power and not responsible use of power. Affirm that whole families — men, women and children — were sent to the gallows for no reason other than that they were more intelligent and noble than others. Reject the idea that blaming others for our problems as a society is a workable solution. Remind everyone that the true symbol of leftism — or liberalism, progressivism, greenism, whatever it has renamed itself today — is the guillotine.

Even following liberal movements cannot save you from the guillotine. When they ran out of enemies of the state to execute, they began pointing the finger at each other. Once the revolutionaries had murdered every noble they could find, they began killing each other for not being revolutionary enough. Eventually this culminated in dictatorship and Napoleon raging across Europe in the name of bringing the enlightened good news of liberalism to others.

Shock your parents. Don’t aim for surface trivialities, where you can get into trouble with specifics. Aim for the heart of the beast. Refute the guillotine. Point out that liberalism is insane. Use the nihilism of modern society to say that there is no inherent morality of equality, and that chasing such a chimera will lead us down the path to the guillotine yet again. Liberalism is like a germ on the unwashed hands of a doctor, infecting and killing every patient he sees until finally he eats a sandwich at lunch and then it kills him too. The only true iconoclasm is washing our hands of liberalism entirely. And it is the only thing that truly makes those in power shake in their boots: the thought that they will soon have no way to manipulate us.

1. Palmer says:

There is a song called “The Guillotine” and it transposes the French revolution into modern pop culture terminology. Don’t judge me for posting this. It makes me laugh. Enjoy.

2. Foam Penguin says:

If our families remain so broken that every new generation wants to rebel against parental authority, doesn’t that mean that the parents are defective enough that their kids don’t want them as heroes?

Kids go out into the world when they get a little freedom, and then they begin making their comparisons. If their dad is a pussy and some rapper could beat him up, the kid tells his dad off and emulates the rapper.

Doesn’t the fact that realizing your parents are indeed buffoons is such a common existential plight that we take for granted that all go through it when they reach the ages where they need no supervision mean that they’d even screw up your ideas too if they got hold of them?

I’m pretty sure it does.

3. LoreTek says:

Easier said that done, or easily said but hardly understood I guess.

The sad truth is, if it’s not taught in school it is conspiracy. If I bring up with my parents, or anyone really, they mostly look at me like I’ve been watching too many reptile people and moon Nazi Youtube videos instead of actually cutting through the nonsense and pinpointing the reasons from which the hierarchy of chaos hang from – the same that notably makes the hierarchy like a forest of trees – you need to view it from above.

While it is difficult to verbalize all the knowledge you know in a few sentences in conversation, how you view the world day to day can start to show others that maybe you do in fact see something they don’t. Remember they are human too, they remember what you say, and they may even question what they know, in private of course.

If you imagine all the “trivialities” as points on a hierarchy tree made out of wire mesh it is easy to see why people focus on them so much, it is hard, it is confusing, it’s a trap. It is quite literally a matter of perspective. If you take each one of those points on the mesh and raise them up vertically according to how “important” it is, how many people take it up as a cause, the magnitude of insanity – and look at the whole diagram from the side its will look like a forest. And to your mind it is a forest. To your mind each time the world tells you a node is important it grows in height and subsequent volume. When viewed from this horizontal, which is the natural way we invasion our world, like we are walking through it, they are all on even plane and this chaos compounds on itself.

However, if you are able to set aside “the cause” and admit that the volume given to each “tree” is arbitrary, you can start to see each one as actually equal. That is to say actually insignificant to reality – truly if one of these trees falls it will not make a sound.

You can turn this hierarchy of chaos and view it from the perpendicular, from above, and as if by magic, in this perspective, the heights of each point are non existent, and you can see clearly the node the hierarchy dangles from, as well as the dark void the whole thing resides in.

The trick is doing this verbally with someone so that they may unburden themselves as well, especially difficult with your parents.

4. DragoMan says:

It seems to me, that the chaos of our modern society is the clash of the constructed / projected hyper-real world of the left and the true reality of the natural world. The real world is hierarchical in nature, in that, physical prowess, mental / intellectual acuity separate the gifted from the ungifted. (However, hard work, desire, and mental focus will always be a “wild-card” in social outcomes). In real life, it seems things just aren’t “fair”. Leftist societies usually respond with “managed outcomes”, as a way of propping up their myth of universal equality.

There, of course, is no such thing as “equality” in the real world. Outside of mathematics and abstract legal concepts, (that when actually applied to individual plaintiffs in a courtroom, always bring different outcomes, even if the circumstances are identical…the wealthy, the connected, the physically attractive, etc. will usually receive a lighter sentence.) Every human being has a different set of abilities, gifts, and flaws. As someone, (Damon Runyon?), once said: “The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that’s the way to bet”.

The slogan: Liberte’, Egalite’, Fraternite’, was and is, a frightening leftist hoax. The only equalizer of the French Revolution was the blade of the guillotine. (In death, perhaps all men are equal.) BTW, Haiti’s national motto is “Liberte’, Egalite’, Fraternite’”. Even in monolithic socially engineered countries, equality is seldom found…. some animals, (it seems), are, (always), more equal.

Choosing to embrace “reality” in our modern times is a revolutionary concept. Actually finding reality in the “acid trip” of our current leftist dominated world is like trying to draw to an inside straight…not impossible, but unlikely. That’s why this website is so important, it is a beacon to those searching for the authentic…the real. I hope the young find the real world, and choose to dwell in it, …..it took me several decades of wasted life before I walked through that doorway.

DragoMan

Great comment. Thanks.

2. Tony says:

My only problem with this, at least as I have observed, is that a lot of “buff” dudes come across as compensating. They are either dumb or average looking. Not all, but I see this. I don’t see how a society of posturing buffoons is going to somehow save the day. I do respect built dudes that I know are stand-up people, that do not walk around puffed up 24/7, with a chip on their shoulder, and staring everyone down. The kind of guys that you know know how to turn it on when required and could put most people in their place. Full on respect for that.

I had a surreal moment this morning, when I read the title, in a not-really-awake-yet state. I could have sworn it said:
    “Hey kids, want to shock your parents? Guillotine them!”

Well, that would do it.

6. GoshDarnIt says:

It seems to me that if one is going to advise their progeny to refute liberalism, a better example than Louis XVI and his fellow aristocrats should be used. They were people of admirable intelligence – but poor judgment.

There is nothing smart about living with indescribable opulence, showing off your wealth with mansions, palaces, massive manicured estates, armies of servants, every comfort one could think of, and so on. These things come off the backs of others. They did then, and they do today, and as usual the beneficiaries don’t care to see the relationship between their excessive comforts and misery of others. Peasants, whether in 18th century France, or 20th century Russia, are easily manipulated by evildoers under such circumstances, into slaughtering their royal families even those who were “nice”and intelligent people.

Your article is good, but let’s not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Yes, Louis was intelligent, but not good as a leader and King. Have you not even read the basics of his time in power?

As to “novel” music and your example of modifying guitars. In the field of classical music, they “prepare” grand pianos in a similar way, blocking the strings with all kinds of objects. I once attended a recital by a pianist playing such an instrument. The audience sat there, rapt, probably thinking this was so very, very Great or something. I believe I was the only one who didn’t applaud. It was an evening of unrelieved cacophany. The following is beautiful compared to what I heard that evening:

What is your aim? That the readers here should convert to being liberal females? Hardly likely to happen is it?

1. GoshDarnIt says:

Golly! What a horrible thought! Why would I want such a thing??? Inasmuch as the readers are, I guess, mostly males, they’d have to (a) undergo sex change procedures; and (b) change their entire way of thinking – impossible to do, of course, and most undesirable.

What I notice about the very few females commenting here is a nitpicking of details so that they may ‘agree’ with them.
          Lost is the broad picture. Lost is the adventure into the unknown. Lost is the necessary leap of faith. Females seem to want absolutely everything to be inclusive to the housewife, or whatever the modern equivalent is.
          Mrs. Crow scoffs at the comments of females and feminized males, but has too much dignity to comment herself. Male crows suffer from less of that dignity stuff.

1. GoshDarnIt says:

As far as I can see, you fancy yourself as a traditionalist. At least, I see that word kicked around a lot here, especially in your “About” section. But we are not a traditionalist society anymore and you want to return to that state, is that correct?

I have news for you, then. A return to tradition has never, anywhere, ever meant returning 100%.

Every generation inherits traditions. Some are good, some are bad, some are neutral. But nobody in the present generation – not the liberals and not the kneejerk “traditionalists” – has the guts to take a good hard look at it all, and sort it out, to see what would be wise to return to, or to keep, or to let go.

“Affirm that whole families — men, women and children — were sent to the gallows for no reason other than that they were more intelligent and noble than others.”

That all hinges on what you define as noble. If you mean nobility of character, there is no proof whatsoever that all of those people who lost their heads were noble of character merely because they benefited from the divine right of kings. A noble king and his aristocratic advisors and cohorts would never have allowed the situation in France to get as bad as it did. They were too busy reveling in luxury and looking out for their own interests and comforts.

But in any case, for all their flaws, I’ll bet none of them blamed their situation on women and our purported inability to see the broad picture or make a leap of faith.

Thank you. I fancied that you fancied yourself as something you are not. Now it is as clear as day.
              Clarity is one of those things, that, you know, we work for.

2. Tony says:

Actually, I don’t have much of a background in French history, so I cannot make comment. Do I do appreciate your take. I for one know this crap is not so simplistic. But then again, I guess that makes me a liberal ;)

It may make you a liberal, who could say on such minimal input?
                The point here is that Brett isn’t doing a documentary on exactly what transpired at 14:40 on the day of the French Revolution, and who did what, and what their exact reasons were, and how that would influence a modern day view of who was to blame for whatever happened next.
                Brett claims the revolution was where the rot began. You can either consider that, or reject it.
                It is a baseline from which to start, in his commentary. He uses it again and again, and probably this is important.
                This constant bickering over insignificant details gets nowhere, and never will, since none of us, today, was there to know the minute details.
                Seems clear to me, why such tangential nitpicking irks me.
                I imagine others become irked, too. I know my wife does.

1. Tony says:

I was being a bit snarky, but truth is, when I look out at this world, sometimes it all comes out a bit complicated. To me at least. I still don’t know where to draw the line between what is right and what is wrong. This isn’t to say that I am for relativism, I just don’t think one can also speak in absolutes (at least about all things, all the time.) That said, I am an avid reader of this site because it forces me to think, and it speaks about things that others might find taboo. I don’t always agree with everything here, because my own investigation of the truth hasn’t maybe confirmed certain things. I am a complex person who has seen his fair share, and that influences things for me. That said, there are a lot of good ideas here and interesting thought, and I appreciate that in a “corrupt” world, people are willing to stand up and say “I call bulls***”. I for myself just haven’t fully sorted it all out. I do know, at least from where I stand, there are a lot of complexities, and not all is what it seems. Again, for me at least. But I appreciate what this site, both the posts and commentary, has done for my own abilities to critically think through this complex world we have created. There is a lot here that I agree with.

Probably the worst thing any reader can do, is agree with any of it. And the best, being able to resist the urge to disagree.
                    This whole agree/disagree thing is at the heart of all that has gone wrong.

1. LoreTek says:

Read everything, believe nothing.

The truth has a way of forming itself in the quantum computer sitting on your shoulders :)

That’s it :)